Tuesday, June 28, 2011

chocolate-peanut butter ice cream with chocolate covered peanuts


I love the combination of chocolate and peanuts.  So when I found this recipe for chocolate-peanut butter ice cream in my copy of David Lebovitz's "The Perfect Scoop", I had to try it!


I also made chocolate-covered peanuts, chopped them up, and added them to the ice cream during the last five minutes of churning.  This wasn't part of the original recipe, but I thought it would taste great with the ice cream.


The double combination of chocolate and peanuts was heavenly.  The ice cream was smooth and creamy, and the crunch of the chopped chocolate peanuts was a nice texture contrast.


Even though I loved this ice cream, I probably won't be making it very often as we recently found out that our daughter is allergic to peanuts.  In fact, it turns out that she is allergic to most nuts, except for walnuts and pecans.  But we'll probably have her stay away from all nuts in general. :( That being said, if she ever outgrows her peanut allergy, this would be the first thing I'd make for her!


9 comments:

  1. It's a shame that your daughter is allergic to nuts.... these look so delicious with the chocolate coated peanuts. Did you use an ice-cream maker to churn this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Shirley @ Kokken69 - yep i used my cuisinart ice cream maker. yeah, my poor daughter - she's missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum..this is right up my alley. sorry about your daughter's allergy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic - love the chocolate-covered nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Alex - you should definitely try it! it's super easy to make too. btw, i just saw wedding pics on your blog - i had my bridesmaids wear that exact same color at my wedding! :)

    @Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets - thank you! i think the chocolate covered nuts would even be good on plain vanilla ice cream. in fact, sometimes i just eat them as-is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww poor daughter- allergic to nuts! My friend was like that too- she had to be so careful- especially at Asian restaraunts. This ice cream sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your daughter! We won't tell her about this glorious ice cream, no worries :) Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohmygosh. I LOVE chocolate covered peanuts. LOVE ice cream. this was made for meee! :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have The Perfect Scoop, and of the few recipes I've tried, this is one of them! My favourite is the fleur de lait though. I've learned that using best milk possible really makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete